• Agile technologist, with a focus in video content creation and monetization.
• Results-oriented leader with a proven track-record in content development and multi-platform distribution
• Broad experience in account and relationship management, print and broadcast media, social and mobile strategy and influencer outreach.
• Widely acknowledged as the father of User-Generated Content.
• Holds two patents in the areas of video curation and video monetization technology.
• Best-selling author and public speaker.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE: OTT/SVOD/Video, Digital Media, Multiplatform Storytelling, Mobile First Product Development, Audience Development and Engagement, Strategic Partnerships.
SKILLS: Social Media (Twitter,FB, Snaptchat, Instagram), User-Generated Video Content, Blog and Video Blog producer, OBS Platform, Wordpress, Final Cut (7,10), Photoshop, YouTube, Amazon Video.
TED Residency 2017 – current
- Member, TED 2017.
- Chosen for highly competitive Residency program
- Offered to give TED Talk about my search topic: “Fake News”
- Coaching other residents as to how to use social media, podcasting, influencer marketing
Waywire Networks 2013 - 2017
- Acquired company from now US Senator Cory Booker and his investors
- Conceived, Designed, Tested, and Launched unique narrowcast video network
- Grew team of content experts, created curator network.
New York City: Economic Development Corporation 2011 - 2014
• NYC EDC Entrepreneur at Large
- Worked with Bloomberg Administration to strengthen NY tech community
- Met with local entrepreneurs, helped them engage city government resources.
- Attended city events as a representative of EDC
- Held office hours at workspaces includingWeWork, BMWi Incubator, Varick St. Incubator
- Created and launched “Virtual Office Hours” for EDC with Google Hang Outs
- Led nomination process for NYC Venture Fellows
Magnify.net 2006 - 2013
• Co-Founder, CEO
- Conceived video curation platform plan, recruited CTO, provided seed capital.
- Raised angel funding, grew revenues, users, and traffic. Raised “A, B, and C” rounds.
- Pivoted to SaaS platform when advertising market-flattened post 2008.
- Increased sales 90% YOY, bringing venture-backed company to CFBO in 3 years.
Broadcast News Networks 2000 - 2006
• Founder, CEO
- Grew statewide syndicated television business (ad supported) BROADCAST: New York
- Drove sales from launch to exceed 5.4 m – driven by direct sales and marketing.
- Won two Emmys for original regional programming.
- Invented User-Generated News, created Viewers News segment for BNN
- Conceived, pitched, sold “MTV-Unfiltered” to the Viacom owned music channel
- Grew company to 140 employees, providing long-form TV to HBO, A&E, Discovery, CNN,
Court TV, VH1, MTV, and MSNBC.
CameraPlanet.com 2000 - 2002
• Founder, CEO
- Built digital content innovation lab from inside BNN.
- Invited early video creators to a shared video content platform
- Launched early stage website development division
OurTown Television 1983 - 2000
• Founder, CEO, Executive Producer
- Sold local news magazine show to 650,000 upstate NY cable outlets
- Grew the network to all the upstate NY NBC stations, on barter-syndication basis
- Found new, low cost and effective ways to create and distribute television
· B.A. in English with honors
Awards and Recognition
· Science Journalism Laureate – Purdue University
· Emmy Award – Outstanding Magazine Format Programing
· Emmy Award - “Life On Trial – AIDS Guinea Pigs”|
· Emmy (nom) With All Deliberate Speed / Exceptional Merit in Nonfiction Filmmaking
Boards of Directors / Volunteer Work
Boards and Advisory roles
· New York Video Meetup, Organizer (2012 – Current)
· Video Ink – Online publisher. Advisory Board Member
· Snakt – Video sharing platform. Advisor.
· Classwish – Advisor
· National 9/11 Memorial Museum / Donor and Advisor
· Producers Guild East (PGA) Founding Board Member
Articles: Fast Company, Nieman Reports, Columbia Journalism Review, Forbes, Huffington Post, Business Insider, Mashable, The Atlantic
Books: Curation Nation. McGraw Hill, 2011.
Curate This, Amazon, 2015